IT Support Guide: An Introduction to IT Support
An IT support company consists of several experienced IT technicians offering expert guidance and solutions to technical issues. However, if businesses lack the time and skills required to stay up to date with the latest technology, this can be very damaging.
How does IT support businesses?
It is impossible to express the importance of technology in businesses today. However, there are numerous ways in which IT has helped companies grow and make considerable progress:
The invention of cloud-based servers revolutionised the way people work. Employees worldwide can now access whole business networks; co-workers can make edits in real-time to shared documents.
Video conferencing connects employees in different locations, whilst screen sharing allows people to present to others remotely.
Lastly, many applications can help to smooth the communication process between colleagues, such as Slack and project managing apps such as Monday assign workloads to minimise disputes over workplace responsibilities.
Technology has given us the ability to encrypt data to protect sensitive information such as the personal details of customers, patients and children. This way, users may share the encrypted file with a pre-approved recipient safely and securely.
If lost or stolen, you may also track specific devices using built-in security applications such as ‘Find My iPhone’. In addition, Digital equipment can be password protected to stop it from falling into the wrong hands, whilst passwords can now be as unique as your fingerprint or face ID.
Technology saves us time and money. For example, it has drastically reduced the time needed to complete menial tasks such as sending information to many people.
IT has automated jobs such as cashiers, replaced by self-checkout machines saving companies vast amounts of money as they can function with significantly less staff. Also, applications such as Grammarly help businesses maintain accurate spelling and grammar within their publications and measure the engagement level and tone of voice.
As you can see, businesses rely heavily on high-functioning IT infrastructures to maintain and build their success. Therefore, if they encounter a technical problem, this can negatively impact their reputation and customer relationships. The best way to prevent this is to work closely with an external IT support agency, like us!
What is the role of an IT support analyst?
An IT support analyst is responsible for maintaining the IT systems within a company. Their primary role is to analyse their clients’ existing systems and diagnose any issues with the software or hardware. They will recommend the ideal solutions, including modifications to or replacement of equipment. They can also move old networks across to new ones.
At Arc Systems, we provide high-quality IT solutions to businesses, always adhering to budgets carefully. In addition, we pride ourselves on keeping up to date with the latest software and hardware in the technology industry. As a result, we can give our clients the very best business models to boost the efficiency of their current IT system.
What is the role of an IT support officer?
This role is a little more hands-on! An IT support officer must respond quickly to any IT issues, providing technical support to workers across the company. They will physically install and configure computer hardware, software and office equipment such as printers and scanners. When introducing new applications, they will set up an account for each user.
IT support officers are also expected to repair and replace old equipment; therefore, they require a high understanding of the internal workings of technical machinery. Lastly, they will test new technology to ensure it is suitable for the company and achieve the aims set out in brief. You can save your business time and money as you won’t invest in new IT resources unless thoroughly vetted. As this role requires a lot of experience, IT support officers also train junior staff.
Here at Arc Systems, we offer uncapped remote IT support and helpdesk calls. We also conduct a full technical site survey and health check every piece of equipment we cover. In addition, our complete IT support package offers unlimited break/fix remote or on-site support. Visit our services page to see how we can help.
What is first-line IT support?
When you raise a support ticket, the problem is initially handed to the first line support. The first-line IT support team is the first point of contact as they can resolve general, fundamental IT issues quickly and easily. This process allows the customer or employee to continue with their day with minimal interruption. They will collect as much information as possible regarding your issue, and if they cannot solve it themselves, they will pass this on to the second-line support team.
How to improve IT support?
The most effective way to improve and enhance your current IT support system is by outsourcing it to an external team. This will instantly save your company time and money as you will no longer need to employ an expensive in-house IT technician but instead pay a fixed monthly fee. This fee is determined by the level of support required.
To reduce this, support your staff by building an internal IT knowledge base. For example, you can create a shared folder consisting of practical ‘how-to’ articles and other self-help resources so that your employees can solve simple IT issues independently. In turn, this will free up your IT agents to focus on the larger, more challenging problems whilst reducing the number of support tickets generated.
Review your ‘bring your own device’ strategy. Whilst this may make your staff feel empowered and motivated, using a device brought from home brings a host of security risks to your company. As a result, this could create multiple technical issues. Always ensure that external devices have functioning security protection software installed and check them before use by your IT support team.
Lastly, always provide a fast solution for lost, stolen or damaged hardware. Nothing is more demotivating than losing access to company files and waiting around for replacement technology. Also, conduct regular opportunities for employee feedback so that you are always meeting their needs.
Never lose another file again by installing a cloud storage system. All employees and managers can save their work to one access-controlled location. Therefore, even if the physical IT equipment is no longer available, you can open your files on another device anytime, anywhere. Your IT support will improve as far fewer file recovery requests will be required.
Questions you may be asking
How much should IT support cost?
- IT support costs depend if you require long-term monthly servicing and monitoring or ‘reactive’ support, meaning you only receive assistance when needed.
- Adhoc, reactive support can cost between £75-90 per hour with additional call-out fees to cover travel costs.
- At Arc Systems, we highly recommend that you invest in a managed support agreement. We include 24/7 monitoring, checking for viruses and hardware/software faults. The price per computer can range between £25-50 per computer per month.
What are the benefits of outsourcing IT support?
- By outsourcing your IT support, you ease the pressure from using just one qualified in-house technician. You automatically reduce the wait time for your employees as they may raise support tickets simultaneously.
- Gain access to an experienced, advanced IT support team for a price that suits you, quickly implement as part of your monthly budget.
How can IT support my business?
- IT support plays a vital role in improving the efficiency of your business.
- Every business holds sensitive personal data such as employee details, salary, HR documents. This data should be highly protected. An IT support team can suggest and install security measures to protect against potential data breaches.
- Experienced IT support teams can help solve complex problems that could delay and push back deadlines, avoiding damaging your companies reputation.
What should I look for in an IT support company?
- Short term contracts (30-60 days) so that if you’re unhappy with the service you’re receiving, you’re free to leave
- Proactive management – your IT support team should have monitoring strategies in place to seek out issues before they develop, solving them before they become a bigger problem.
- Complete data security expertise – the IT support company should hold regular training sessions with employees to stay up to date with the latest cybersecurity. Failure to do this may put your company at risk if they aren’t protecting you against the latest security threats.
- Clear response times – your IT support team should have clearly outlined guides as to how long it will take them to process certain technological issues. If they can’t provide this, you should question their integrity.
At Arc Systems, we pride ourselves on being completely transparent. We are proactive, offering an extensive monitoring service to stop security issues in their tracks. We will not hesitate to provide precise response times to give you peace of mind and will always give you the chance to increase or minimise your level of cover with us. Check out our fully comprehensive IT support packages and help protect your business and employees today.
If you’d like to discuss these further, please do not hesitate to contact us at Arc Systems on 01268 288100